There is a girl who I have been friends with for a number of years. She has been the one I always went to for help in romantic endeavors. I would always be there to change her mind when she decided that men are evil. We are good friends, able to talk about anything. Both of us graduated and went off to college. Fortunately, I go to Carnegie Mellon University, and she attends the nearby University of Pittsburgh.

Over the summer we didn't see each other much, and as they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I found myself wishing that our relationship could be different. She has a boyfriend, a steady one for the past year and a half. I realized that things between us won't change.

College started, and her boyfriend went to Florida. She was having a rough time with the separation, so I once again gave my support. Our class schedules didn't allow for meeting very long. We decided to meet a little before noon. I had finished my classes, but she still had a couple more in the early afternoon. We got together and talked. I noticed her looking at her watch just before her classes were to start. Then a funny thing happened.

We are good friends, but nothing all that special. I expected her to get up and leave to go to class. Instead she stayed. We didn't even talk about her boyfriend. As things progressed I got the feeling that her classes and her boyfriend didn't matter. I got the feeling like she wanted to spend all her time with me. She didn't care about anything else, but to sit and talk with me.