In the 80's, I went to four proms. Four silly, expensive proms that all ended up quite disappointingly. Most of the time, for most people, prom does end up that way, because nothing on the face of the planet can actually be as wonderful in real life as your imagination tells you it's going to be while you're going nuts getting ready for it. My last prom, at my own high school during my senior year, (my "real" prom, I began to call it,) I wore a sleeveless, metallic pink dress with a big puffy skirt because I had to look as much like Cyndi Lauper as I could manage. My date was an enormously cheap dork with two left feet and a perpetual boner. The shrimp they served made me vomit. The ugly, Assistant Crack Whore my very recently ex-ed ex-boyfriend dumped me for wore the exact same dress I did. The "theme" of the thing was Bon Jovi's "Never Say Goodbye" and the infinite wisdom of my school's administration made the DeeJay re"mix" the song so that the lines "with a six pack and a radio" and "remember when we lost the keys, and you lost more than that in my backseat, baby" were scrambled beyond easy recognition. Lame, lame, lame. Exponentially lame. Infinite mega-lameness. But I'm glad I went to the stupid things. Now I'm an old crumudgeon, and I can recognize Bon Jovi's music for the insipid tripe that it was, and I can see that Cyndi Lauper was actually just more strange-looking than talented. But the story value remains reasonably good, and I don't have to wonder if I would have missed something that would have been an important part of my eventual self-actualization as an adult. (I wouldn't have, as it turns out.) I have four silly dresses to show my own kids when they're looking for a laugh. I have four champagne flutes with high school logos on them, and everyone needs at least one of those. I have photos of myself looking completely ridiculous, while feeling like a freaking runway model. (At least for as long asthe requisite "Family Photo Sessions" were going on. That feeling went rather quickly away once I got to the damned dance and noticed that everyone there was taller, tanner, and bigger-breasted than I. That's frequently how one thinks when one is a teenager, you know.

Anyway, going to your prom doesn't necessarily make you an uncreative conformist. It just makes you glad when it's all over that you don't have to do any of that high school crap ever again, and that in itself is worth something.