Genesis 19:8 is often pointed out as a supposed example of the Bible condoning the rape of women. As SophiesCat points out, Lot appears to offer his two virgin daughters to the mob, rather than allow them to rape the men who are his guests.

However, is this really what was happenning here? It is clear that Lot did not want the mob to gets its collective hands on the men. But, if the earlier verses of Genesis 19 are to be believed, Lot was supposed to have been a good man. What good man would offer his daughters to a mob to be raped?

The simple answer is, a good man would do no such thing. And neither did Lot. An examination of the context of this paragraph clearly shows this. The next verse goes on to state that Lot was not native to the town of Sodom; he had moved there at some past point for reasons which are never explained but are not relevant to the matter in question. In any case, it is evident from what the villagers say that he was not very well-liked among them. Plus, Lot knew of his guests' true origins, which the villagers did not, and he likely feared the consequences of handing the angels over to the mob. In short, we have a man in a desperate situation.

What, then, to do? Lot did have one thing on his side: evidently, the people in the mob weren't very bright, given that Lot's eventual escape was through the back door, which the mob had apparently not surrounded. Also, the fact that he spoke of his daughters indicates that he did not believe the mob would ordinarily pass up the offer. However, his daughters were inside the house. If the mob were to take Lot up on the offer, he would have to go fetch them. At which point, the whole family -including the daughters- could have escaped unharmed. While not the most foolproof way of getting out, it would have bought them a valuable head start, and was all they had to go on.

In short, what was described in this chapter was nothing more than a stall tactic. Lot never intended to actually give his daughters to the mob; he just needed a reason to get back into the house, so that he could gather them up and escape. Unfortunately, the tactic failed him (evidently the mob was not interested in women that day), but that does not change its original intent.