The latest game in Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda series, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is set to be released for the Nintendo GameCube on March 24, 2003.

Set one hundred years after the events of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the story once again deals with a young boy named Link. For his tenth birthday, young Link is given a familiar green outfit, due to an old Hylian legend that a green-clad boy named Link will always arise to defeat evil. What is unclear is how other regulars in the series (i.e. Ganon, Zelda, the Triforce) will figure into the game.

While the game will play similar to Ocarina and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, the title of the game ties into one key factor in the gameplay: the wind. The game is set on the ocean, and Link must make use of the wind to sail on his boat from one place to another.

The game was a major source of controversy in the video game press, as, after the realistic looking graphics seen in the N64 Zeldas and a previously shown tech demo, a completely revamped look for the game was unveiled in 2001. A young, cartoony Link was shown using Looney Tunes like tactics to defeat his enemies. Many were aghast at this decision, but gaming god Shigeru Miyamoto implored people to wait until they played the game before passing judgement. Now that many in the media have played the game, it appears the gameplay will be, as like all the other games in the series (except the unfortunate Philips CDi games), top notch.