Often unrequited love occurs between friends, and as close as they get one regards the emotional intimacy as a normal consequence of friendship while the other can't help thinking of something more. In environments where all of your friends are of the same sex as you are, and most are heterosexual but you are not, unrequited love can be of the most hopeless kind. There's a case in point out of a movie that carries over so well to real life: In a subplot of the movie Election, a lesbian has a best friend who she regards as her romantic soulmate, because they are so alike and have such a good time together, etc. And it's true, all the close things friends do suddenly become very sexy when there's an attraction on one end.

My school is single-sex, extremely religious, and unlike the fabled Catholic school girls in short skirts, the students here are stunningly repressed- homosexual relationships are not wrong, they are not an impropriety, they are EVIL EVIL EVIL. As friends, students here are generous with casual touch and with hugs, but not a one is openly homosexual or bi. Unrequited love- when someone is your friend, you see him or her all the time. When you sit in class all day staring at said friend's hands and you so desperately want to hold her. When you watch her doing math problems and the concentration on her face is so beautiful. The environment I speak of is especially cruel, as any love cast out toward the timid and repressed object of affection is bound to be automatically, violently rejected.