Both is a French-language band, formed in Metz (a city in the northeast of France, very close to the borders with Luxembourg and Germany) in March of 2004. They've released three studio albums.

I found it extremely difficult to research their lineup, as it has changed since the biography on their website went up, but here is as close as I can come:

Both's style shows influences from metal, ska, hip-hop, alternative, and other genres. To my ears, the sound is reminiscent of some American music of the early aughts, but it's extremely catchy, and French lends itself to wordplay that isn't possible with English. Both also strive to bring a deeper, more politically-oriented message to their lyrics than some bands, as their biography on Myspace states:

Both s'engage non seulement dans un éclectisme musical, mais aussi dans leurs textes, majoritairement en français, dévoilant ainsi leur idéologie, leurs joies et leurs peines ainsi ils essayent de faire passer leurs idéaux…
"Both isn't only involved (there are political overtones in the verb I can't exactly capture in English) in musical eclecticism, but also in their lyrics, which reveal their ideology, their joys and hardships. In this way they try to convey their ideas to the listener…"

I first learned about the band when I was trying to find out about French-language music in order to expand my horizons and practice a language that has been part of my life since I was a child in Paris. Both came extremely highly-recommended by actual French listeners, which was a big plus for me. And as much of the music I discovered during my explorations was by Quebecois bands (the neotraditionalist movement has a lot of steam there) it was nice to discover acts like Both, Diam's, and others from France itself, since I speak the French of France and have a hard time with other dialects (much as I enjoy artists like Guadeloupe's Admiral T, I find his patois all-but impenetrable).

Both's first two albums, "Simple Exercice" ("Simple Exercise," released in 2004) and "En Attendant D'Aller Sur Mars…" ("While Waiting to Travel to Mars," released in 2005) are available in mp3 quality for free from the music discovery website Jamendo, as well as in traditional CD format through online and real-life stores. Their third album, "Alice's Death in Wonderland" (released in 2008) is not available for free (yet). All three albums are self-produced; Both isn't associated with a label. The band is currently touring, promoting their new album.

Since they're available online for free, you have no excuse not to give them a listen. Even if you don't know the language, their catchy, high-energy music is a treat to listen to.


Sources: