The Compact Flash card is a smaller version of the Type I PCMCIA card, the original version of which is almost obsolete. As one could infer from the name, it uses flash memory. Compact Flash is currently the most popular form of removable memory for digital cameras. It's also widely used in PDA's.

The size specificatons are as follows:

Length 1.433 in (36.4 mm) Width 1.685 in (42.8 mm) Height 0.130 in (3.30 mm) Weight 0.36 oz (10.2 g)

Compact Flash cards typically have more space than their memory stick contemporaries and definitely more than Smart Media cards. SmartMedia cards are also wafer thin and easy to break, whereas you can toss a Compact Flash card out of a two-story window onto pavement, and it will usually continue to function. I've left one in my pocket more than once on laundry day, and it came out of the washer/dryer still functioning.

Currently, the leading developers of CF cards are SanDisk and Lexar Media. SanDisk focuses on producing cards for storage, whereas Lexar Media cards are optimized for digital cameras, with a binary writing style which works faster and allows for less write time between pictures.

Lexar Media also recently introduced and licensed USB enabled compact flash cards, which come loaded with all the USB interface technology in the card. They are packaged with a cord to connect the card to any USB slot.



specification info found at: http://www.lexarmedia.com/products/usb_cf_main.html