My dream was set on an island in the Pacific ocean, but nothing was to scale. From the island I was on, I could see California off in the distance about 1 mile away, Asia about a mile in the other direction and, amusingly, Greenland off to the north, several miles away. Apparently my subconcious doesn't have a very keen sense of geography. The sky was a deep, bruised shade of blue, completely devoid of stars and seemed very low and enclosing.

I wanted to get back home to California, so I began swimming west across the ocean. As I was swimming, I looked to my left and saw the silouhette of jagged mountains, which in the dream I knew as Greenland, set against the deep blue sky. I marvelled at how beautiful the black mountains looked against the blue.

Suddenly, about a third of the way across the ocean, I came to the alarming realization that sharks live in the ocean. Terrified, I started swimming back to shore.

"I'm scared!", I shouted to my roommate, who had apparently blinked into existence back on the shore.

No response.

As I was swimming back, I saw him in the water swimming west.

"Dude!! We can't swim, there's sharks in the water!", I silently shouted to him. He didn't hear me.

Fuck it, I'm swimming back without him.

As I swam back, I looked over my shoulder and saw that he was indeed being assailed by a shark. Filled with a mixed sense of helplessness and guilt, I kept swimming back to shore instead of trying to help him.

I made it back to the shore and proceeded to shout meaningless words of encouragement to my distressed roommate, who was somehow fending off the shark and making his way back to shore. As he swam up to the shallows, I went out to meet him and found that he had a deep cut in his chest, which he was attempting to apply pressure to with his hand. The ocean water thinned the blood that was dripping out between his fingers and down his chest.

I lifted his hand from the wound, poured a glass jar of alcohol on his chest to disinfect it, and then...

the dream fades away.