Falconry is, as webster points out, the art of using birds of prey for the puropses of hunting. Indeed, in the United States there are only three legal reasons for which one can own a Bird of Prey:

1.) Rehabilitation, with the intent to release the bird back into the wild

2.) Education. Birds which cannot be released to the wild are preferred for this purpose.

3.) Hunting.

Falconry is an ancient art that has been practiced by many cultures, it was common in the feudal societies of both Japan and England.

Due to rather strict laws, in the United States Falconry is a life-long commitment. Not only do you have to take a test, you must be sponsored by a licenced falconer, and have your facilities for housing the bird approved my your local fish & wildlife department.

Raptors also take a great deal of care, they must be fed fresh, lean raw meat on a daily basis, and must have their bills and talons filed regularly. Also you must commit to hunting with the birds throughout the season or you may find yourself in violation of the laws stated above. Neglect, or poor care of a raptor in captivity can result in heavy fines and even jail time.

There are a select few types of hawk legal for the sport of Falconry, these laws can vary from state to state. The most popular species of hawks used in Oregon are the goshawk, the peregrine falcon, and red-tailed hawks.

There are many books and online resources aviliable to those interested in falconry, but that can only get one so far. People seriously interested in the sport of falconry should contact a local organization and speak with members.