Let's Get Nuts!

What Came Before

the unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Power of course, to which clickest thou post-haste shouldst thou needst a refresher.

Why am I Noding (Bad) Thor Dialog?

Wait for it....

The Now That Was

Vol.2 collects four more issues of tuSG, logically enough issues 5 through 8. Issue 5 is "Tails of the unbeatable Squirrel Girl" and frankly, it's a bit of a mess. Lots of inconsistent guest art and outright oddness. It feels like filler, though why would a fifth issue needs to be filler? It should be fun, but I'm just not getting it. Issues 6-8 are an arc which has some fun moments, not the least of which is an appearance by, or perhaps I should say the appearance of, Loki and assorted other Asgardians both good and less so. Verily, the Loki bit (which I won't spoil) is worth the price of admission! Also Doreen makes some new like-minded friends. And....

Minor spoiler!
A fight breaks out in Computer Science class during a discussion of ACID principles!
End minor spoiler!
Which I did rather enjoy.
Ryan North: My goal is for a complete collection of Squirrel Girl comics to be equivalent to a CS bachelor degree. Now there’s a comic that increases in value!

The backer stories give us a glimpse of Squirrel Girl written and drawn in a more traditional comics style. /me wrinkles nose. it doesn't really work, other than to throw the excellence of the main book into focus.

Overall I felt this was a much weaker offering than Vol.1, not without its moments but somehow lacking the zing of the previous issues. A survey of the internet suggests I'm in the minority, though, so maybe the week's got me looking at things through crud-coloured lenses.

The Age of Heroes

And then, eight issues in, BAM, a reboot! Because, who the hell knows why? Secret Wars (not the first one, the second one with the same name (it's complicated)), I guess? Anyway, this is the end of the eight-issue tuSG Volume 1, confusingly collected as the aforenoded Vol.1 and here in Vol.2. This leaves us with the following paradox :

Squirrel Girl will return in The unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol.3, Squirrel, you really got me now

...which actually collects comics from tuSG Volume 2! In which Doreen will travel in time, likely bringing about this very confusing scenario, in the way that time travel often does.


References

Ryan quote: North & Henderson Talk the New 'Unbeatable Squirrel Girl' #1 at Comics Alliance.

Yes, I'm holding it once again.

See also: the unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe

IN9