The first book of the Pentateuch. There's a lot packed into a few pages!

It begins with the creation story "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). Next comes the creation of Adam and Eve and their fall "ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil" the serpent tells Eve (Genesis 3:5). Next comes the story of Cain and Abel (Genesis 4). After a furious round of begating comes the story of Noah and the flood (Genesis 7 and 8). The Tower of Babel story is told very briefly (Genesis 11:1-9).

The story then focusses on the sons of Abraham, who become God's chosen people (Genesis 12 onward). The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah occurs: "Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven" (Genesis 19:24), and in the same chapter a drunken Lot commits incest with his daughters (Genesis 19:30-38).

More excitement: God tells Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac on a mountain, as a test. Abraham almost does but at the last second God sends an angel to intervene and allows Abraham to sacrifice a ram instead (Genesis 22).

Isaac grows, and his wife bears twins who are foretold to found two competing nations. When Isaac is on his deathbed, the sons of Isaac compete for his blessing, Jacob steals it from his brother Esau. (Genesis 27). Their lifelong conflict fills the last half of the book.

Whew. Next: Exodus