Got back from vacation and catching up on the laundry I noticed the washing machine (a Kenmore we got as a wedding present from my parents so that would make it over 21 years old!) would fill, agitate and pump but wouldn't shift into the spin cycle. hmmm time to call Rosano's. Mr. Rosano himself arrived in the morning and concluded the wig wag was shot. He always shows me the broken parts and sure enough a small wire across the solenoid was broken.

He explained that the wig-wag (plunger/lifter) or transmission mode lever was worn out. These washing machines have a dual-action solenoid called a wig-wag in the appliance repair business and run on 117vac. (??-- I didn't ask). Wigwags are electro-mechanical devices used on belt-drive Whirlpool and Kenmore machines, to shift the transmission and basket drive mechanisms into and out of spin and agitate. Current direct-drive machines from Whirlpool, Kenmore, KitchenAid, and Roper do not have wig wags.

Then he revealed the rather large oil leak under the machine and said he could fix it, but the machine was so old it wasn't worth the cost. So he was back in the afternoon with a used washing machine for $127.00. All hooked up and I was cooking dinner when this brand new Maytag Momma noticed water coming out from under the stove.

oh no!!! I wonder what Mr. Rosano will replace on my leaky oven ?