Chicken Pot Pie

Heat margarine over low heat until melted. Make sure the margarine is almost to a sizzle. Gravies and sauces made with flour will become lumpy if the fat is not heated enough before the flour is added. Blend in flour slowly to also avoid lumping, add onion, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly to avoid burning the sauce. Boil on medium heat and stir one minute to cook the flour. This is another mistake I learned from, sometimes the sauces and gravies I made would have a raw flour taste to them and I finally read somewhere that this was caused by not taking the time to cook it for at least a minute or two. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.

Prepare Celery Seed Pastry. Roll 2/3 of pastry into 13 inch square on lightly floured cloth-covered board. (A tea towel works well). Ease pastry into square pan, 9x9x2 inches; pour chicken filling into pastry lined pan. I refrigerate or pop the pan into the freezer while I'm making the pot pie filling. The colder the pie crust the flakier it will be since the fat in the pastry will melt quickly in a preheated oven and puff out the crust into those yummy flaky layers as it bakes. Roll remaining dough into 11 inch square; place over the top of the filling. Roll edges under and flute. Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape. Cook uncovered in 425º oven until crust is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Makes 6 belly warming servings. A complete meal since it has all the main food groups.

Easy As Pie!!!

Celery Seed Pastry

Cut shortening into flour, celery seed and salt with a pastry cutter until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, two tablespoons at a time, tossing with a fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons of water can be added if necessary for the right consistancy). Gather pastry into ball.

* If using self rising flour, omit salt.