Making the Sauce

12 stemmed and seeded dried Anaheim Chiles
1 Quart Water
1 Garlic Clove, peeled
6 Tablespoons Lard or Canola Oil
2 Tablespoons Flour
3/4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
½ Teaspoon Salt

Bring the chiles and water to a boil in a gallon-sized pot. Remove from the heat and let cool. Remove the chiles from the water and save the water for pureeing. Pureé the chiles and garlic in a food processor adding enough water to the food processor to give the puree a gravy-like consistency. Heat 2 tablespoons lard or canola oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the flour while constantly stirring. Add chile pureé, garlic powder and salt. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Making the Enchiladas

12 Corn Tortillas
1 lb. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/4 lb. Queso Cotija (aged Mexican cheese) or Romano or Parmesan Cheese
Shredded Iceberg Lettuce (optional)
Chopped Plum Tomatoes (optional)
Chopped Green Onions (optional)
Sour Cream(optional)
Chopped Ripe Olives(optional)
Salsa(optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the remaining lard or canola oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Using tongs, dip a tortilla quickly in the oil and place on a sheet pan. Sprinkle an ounce or two of the jack cheese in a line across the middle of the tortilla. YOu can add shredded chicken or sometimes I like to add black beans. Starting at the edge of the tortilla that is directly across from the line of cheese, roll the tortilla until it just folds over itself. Place the filled tortilla with the flap down in a glass casserole dish just large enough to accommodate 12 enchiladas in a single layer. Repeat this process until all tortillas and cheese are used. Pour enough chile sauce over the tortillas to just moisten the entire surface. Bake for 20 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven and sprinkle with the queso cotija. If desired, garnish the enchiladas with sour cream, salsa, olives,shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped plum tomatoes and chopped green onions.

Tip: For a quicker version, canned red enchilada sauce is a good substitute.