I agree that suicide isn't always solution. That many people contemplate commiting suicide, and then realize that they were foolish to consider giving up their life. People don't commit suicide because they're conscious about their looks or intelligence. For you to suggest something like that shows that you're way out of your depth here. You've clearly never experienced anything which would make you want to commit suicide. That's not a bad thing. But don't presume that you can provide a solution for people who don't want to live on this planet anymore. You can't talk yourself out of a depression, now matter how much you think you can when you're feeling great.

You're probably always happy, ambitious and excited about life. I'm sure that you think you've been depressed and you'll tell me that if you were able to get out of it, so can anyone else. But you're wrong. Just understand something. People can't talk themselves out of a depression.

It is everyones right, if they so choose, to decide that they don't want to exist anymore.

I'm sure most of you would agree that for every experience you feel, and for every facet of your behavior, there is a physical counterpart in your brain. Your behavior and experiences are subjective manifestations of physical phenomena. Most people have a mechanism in their mind, and their brain, which gives them the desire to live, and the instinct to avoid death. Some people though, have a malfunction in this mechanism and don't see any point in living any longer. If you encounter such a person, or if you know someone who develops such a malfunction, do whatever you can to help them either fix the malfunction, or live as normal a life as possible, despite the malfunction. But if they choose to take their life, do not hold resentment, enmity or any such feelings for this person.

I don't think that anyone should be saying what I'm saying to someone who is depressed. If you know someone who is suicidal, do everything you can to talk him or her out of it. If you can talk him out of it, then suicide, clearly, was not the answer. I agree with you that people should not consider suicide an option because many people choose suicide impulsively, and without thinking it through.

But suicide is an option, and don't hold anything against someone who has committed suicide. Try to understand what they've been through and accept their decision. Also understand that these little nuggets of advice like "read books" or "take classes" will not solve their problems. You must do whatever you can to help them rise out of their depression. But accept their decision, and don't convince yourself that you've been what they've been through. I'm sure it is very painful for anyone who knows someone who has taken his or her own life, but everyone has the right to decide they don't want to continue their life anymore.

I suffer from bipolar disorder and I can therefore understand things from both points of view. I know what it's like to not be able understand why someone would take their life, because I was so happy and motivated. I've also been so depressed that I was considering taking my life. And I'm glad I didn't.

But if someone decides that they don't want to live anymore, don't let that take away any respect that you may have had for them. Don't hold contempt for someone who couldn't continue living their life.

By the way, it was M.C. Escher's belief that if someone was tired of his life, even if he wasn't in deep despair, it was his perogative to end it.