Beltane is an ancient Celtic festival that marks the return of vitality, or passion and hopes consummated. It is still celebrated today by many pagans and Wiccians. On the eve of April 30 or the first full moon in Taurus, two large bon-fires are lit, while people and cattle walk between them. During this evening only, men are considered God and women the Goddess. Women in a Beltane carrying cup of an alcoholic drink called mead, when they offer this drink to a man it is looked at as an offer of sex. If accepted the couple find a nice quiet spot in the woods, not to far from the fire and celebrate the joining of the God and Goddess. Through this act the couple is considered married for a year and a day, if a child is conceived from this marriage the young one will be looked as a god or goddess for the entirety of its life.

On May 1 or May Day, many people woke early in the morning to gather flowers and green branches from the fields and gardens, using them to decorate their homes or the Maypole. A May pole is a supremely phallic symbol and represented the God, that was the focal point of old English village rituals. The flowers and greenery that people would gather symbolized the Goddess.

Today’s pagan sometimes uses the May pole but normally the cauldron is more common. The cauldron represents the Goddess—the essence of womanhood, the end of all desire. If possible Beltane is celebrate in a forest or near living trees. Pagans will bring a small token or charm in honor of the wedding of the Goddess and God to hang upon the tree, these charms can be bags filled with fragrant flowers, strings of beads, carvings, flower garlands, just to name a few.

Weaving is a traditional art at this time of year, for the joining together of two beings to form a third. The foods that are usually served at the Beltane feast come from the fairy, and dishes like marigold custard and vanilla ice cream and oatmeal cakes.