This is what I ( and my government teacher ) consider the most important aspect of John Locke's Two Treaties of Government written in 1690. Locke is considered one of the greatest influences on the writers of the American Constitution. The reason I'm posting it is because it strongly influenced my ideas of government and lead me to my post as a Libertarian (Something seen as an "impolite" action by my gay peers) and I'd like to know if you guys have any opinions on it, for or against. If I'm not mocked into oblivion for this lil' node then I'll post some more government philosophy stuff.
Here goes:

"To understand political power, we must consider the condition in which nature puts all men. It is a state of perfect freedom to do as they wish and dispose of themselves and their possessions as they see fit, within the bounds of the law of nature. They need not ask permission or the consent of any other man.

The state of nature is also a state of equality. No one has more power or authority than another. Since all creatures of the same species and rank have the same advantages and the use of the same skills, they should be equal to each other without subordination or subjection. The state of nature has a law of nature to govern it. Reason is that law. It teaches all mankind that, since all men are equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, liberty, or possessions. All men are made by one omnipotent and infinitely wise Maker. They are all His property, made to live during His, not another's pleasure. He has put men naturally into a state of independence, and they remain in it until, by their own consent, they choose to become members of a political society.

If man in the state of nature is free, if he is the absolute lord of his own person and possessions, why will he part with his freedom? Why will he subject himself to the dominion and control of any person or institution? The obvious answer is that rights in the state of nature are very uncertain for they are constantly exposed to the attacks of others. Since every man is his equal and since most men do not concern themselves with equity and justice, the enjoyment of rights in the state of nature is unsafe and insecure. Hence each man joins in society with others for the mutual protection of his life, liberty and estates, which I call by the general ame property.

Since men hope to secure their property by establishing a government, they will not want that government to destroy the objective they sought to attain. When legislators try to destroy or take away the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the populace, who can refuse to obey the laws. When legislators, motivated by ambition, fear, folly, or corruption, try to gain or give someone else absolute power over the lives, liberties, and estates of the people, they abuse the power which the people had put into their hands. It is then the privilege of the people to establish a new legislature to provide for their safety and security. These principles also hold true for the executive, who helps to make laws and carry them out...

Perhaps some will say that, since the people are ignorant and discontent, a government based on their unsteady opinion and uncertain humor will be unstable. They might argue that no government can exist for long if the people may set up a new legislature whenever they do not like the old one. But people do not so easily give up their old forms of government as some are apt to suggest. In England, for example, the unwillingness of the people to throw out their old constitution has set up to, or brought us back again to, our old legislature of king, lords, and dominions.

However, it will be said that his philosophy may lead to frequent rebellion. To which I answer, such revolutions are not caused by every little mismanagement in public affairs. But if a long train of abuses, lies, and tricks, all tending the same way, make a government's bad intentions visible to the people, they cannot help seeing where they are going. it is no wonder that they will then rouse themselves, and try to put the rule into hands which will secure to them the purpose for which government was originally organized."