M60 Series Machine Gun


The M60 series general purpose machine gun is a light-weight, disintegrating-link belt fed, gas operated, air cooled weapon which fires 7.62 MM ammunition. The headspace and timing are fixed to support interchangeable barrels which allow for sustained rapid rates of fire. The M60 has an integral bipod to stabilize the weapon during firing, and can also be mounted on a tripod for increased stability and accuracy. While the M60 is light enough to be carried by one person, it is most often deployed as a crew-served weapon manned by a machine gunner and an assistant machine gunner who carries extra barrels, ammunition, and the optional tripod.

In addition to the standard M60 there are two variants: the M60 C/D, which is modified for use as a helicopter door gun, and the M60E3, which is modified to be lighter than the original for use by the Marine Corps and U.S. Special Operations Forces. Modifications used in the E3 model made the weapon too weak and unreliable for prolonged use and sustained rapid fire, which led to the adoption of the M240G, the E3's current replacement.


General Characterstics:

  • Length: 42.4 inches (107.70 centimeters)
  • Weight: 18.75 pounds (8.51 kilograms)
  • Bore Diameter: 7.62 MM (.308 inches)
  • Maximum Effective Range: 3609.1 feet (1,100 meters)
  • Maximum Range: 2.3 miles (3725 meters)
  • Muzzle Velocity: 2,800 feet (853 meters) per second
  • Unit Replacement Cost: $6,000 (U.S.)
  • Rates of Fire:
    • Cyclic: 550 rounds per minute
    • Rapid: 100 rounds per minute (w/ barrel changes at each 100 rounds)
    • Sustained: Same as rapid


Sources:
Military.com (http://www.military.com/Resources/EQG/EQGmain?file=M60&cat=w&lev=2)
FAS Military Analysis Network (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m60e3.htm)