In the novels Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered by Eric S. Nylund, bubbles are self-contained full-immersion virtual reality workstations that send signals to devices implanted in the user's cerebral cortex through extremely precise electromagnetic induction fields. The only drawback of this -- and it's a doozy -- is that stray magnetic fields leak through the user's implant's shielding unless one is in a already heavily shielded environment, causing painful feedback and sensory overload. In the novels, most implanted persons go about with silly-looking metal helmets on their heads when outside these shielded areas, so that they don't suddenly walk into a pulse of EM that fries their brains.

Bubbles provide photorealistic virtual environments in which every sensation is mimiced perfectly, where users of other bubbles can interact, perform simulations and control tools. Nearly every high-end electronic device can be controlled from a bubble.

The most interesting thing Nylund's bubbles, though, are the intuition-enhancing features. Bubbles literally help you think better, by taking cues from your subconscious mind and converting them into metaphors that you can perceive in the virtual reality, helping you solidify hunches and make guesses more quickly. This also facillitates human communication, as mood and opinion are expressed by alterations in the bubble environment. Nylund's descriptions of bubble use are fascinating and poetic.

I want a bubble.