Work was fun. I had the amazing fortune of being talked down to by some complete IT morons. One guy thought he knew how to connect up an ST-ST Fibre Optic Cable and managed to break off the ends. In the sockets. Which cannot be repaired. So one expensive media converter later, he was sorted. By me. In all of 3 minutes. The last time I do a favour for desktop users.

But no.

I had another call, and a very distressed secretary said that their access to the file server was down, they couldn't get to the Internet, and "Oh, we also haven't been able to get mail". I made the mistake of relating to her how these three things are actually the one problem. "But the Internet is different from our mail, and certainly different from our files on the server". *Sigh*

I do a bit of diagnostic research and see that they are still connected to the network. I then ask for an IP Address to ping to see if they are just not doing something right. And lo and behold, there are problems. SO I wander over to them, look at their computer, determine that their hub is working, they have their stacks functioning, but no connection - hence an uplink problem. I take ONE LOOK at their hub and flick the crossover (MDI-X) switch, and walk out. Without seeing or saying anything to the secretary.

Five minutes pass and I get a phone call.

Same secretary.

"Oh, it seems to be fixed. *Pause* Did you do that?"

Why was I so chagrined? Because 6 weeks ago, I did EXACTLY THE SAME THING, and pointed it out to the secretary, and pointed out that the switch was not to be touched.

This is why I don't do desktop support (usually).

Chest and abs at the gym. I am up to 17.5kgs for dumbells. Soon to be 20kgs.


Life is what you make of it.