Currently, in America, all frequencies on which a radio signal can be sent are subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The FCC’s current policy on FM radio is that anyone operating an FM transmitter must do so with an FCC license, no matter how powerful the transmitter is. Acquiring one of these permits requires the help of a licensed FCC engineer to conduct a survey to make sure that the frequency, power, and placement of your transmitter is up to various codes and will not interfere with other licensed broadcasts. Also, a lawyer is required to help file all the necessary paperwork, and there are filing fees that go along with that. Overall, the process of acquiring an FM broadcast license is extremely expensive, making it nearly impossible for anyone but commercial broadcasters with a large financial backing.

The pirate radio movement in America stands in opposition to the FCC’s current policies. Radio broadcast is seen as a right of all people, especially given its potential for low cost, mass distribution of information. Internet radio is seen as a potential replacement, but the reality is that not everyone can get access to a computer in order to tune in. FM receivers can be purchased for as little as $15, which makes radio a much more democratic means of communication than the internet.

At present, pirate radio transmitters generally fall into the category of “Low Power FM” (LPFM). This means that they use transmitters of no greater strength than 100 watts. Most pirate radio transmitters fall within the 50-100 watt range. Just to give a sense of scale, the average power for most commercial FM transmitters is from 5,000-10,000 watts.

There are currently bills before congress, and cases in the Federal court system working to establish freedom for LPFM transmitters. The FCC already has a system for licensing LPFM stations which is a much lesser process than that required for larger FM stations, but your chances of actually getting a license are slim-to-none. Usually, no more than one LPFM license is issued within any given city at one time.

According to FCC agent Royce E. Leonardson, Compliance Specialist, sanctions for unauthorized operation of a radio station can range from an administrative monetary penalty of up to $11,000 to criminal prosecution with a fine for individual violators of up to $100,000.00 and/or imprisonment for up to one year.

For more info, check out the following website, which contains tons of useful info on pirate radio and LPFM, as well as links to other related sites, including many websites for individual pirate radio stations.

Radio 4 All

http://www.radio4all.org/

To read an article describing an FCC raid on a pirate station in Asheville, NC, check out the following website:

http://www.radio4all.org/news/fra-raid.html