Ketamine and your health

As can be imagined, a drug with such powerful effects has potential consequences and associated risks.

In line with most other drugs of abuse and alcohol, Ketamine has been linked with depression and anxiety when used to excess or in combinations with other drugs. Perhaps more interestingly, low doses of ketamine have been successfully used to help individuals with serious depression. Two other interesting elements arising from the initial study were that the patients had been non-responsive to at least two courses of antidepressants and that the improvement in mood was felt within hours rather than the weeks traditional antidepressants take before there is a any noticeable effect.

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/42/17/16

Ketamine is dangerous when mixed with alcohol, at high enough doses there is the potential for the heart and lungs to shut down, at lower doses there is the risk of unconsciousness and choking on vomit.

Longer term, in 2006, there was a study in Hong-Kong linking longer term ketamine abuse with urinary problems. The problems seemed to be very serious in nature although the investigators seemed unclear whether the problems had been caused by ketamine or a local cutting agent. Since then, further information has been difficult to find.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S009042950700101X