One of the most popular characters on Xena:Warrior Princess, Callisto (played by the lovely Hudson Leick) is Xena's arch enemy.

Young Callisto's village and life was destroyed when Xena ransacked and burned everything in sight, including Callisto's parents and younger sister.

From that day forward, Callisto made a vow to destroy everything Xena ever loved. This hate turned her into a formidable opponent and a dangerous equal.

The Many Lives of Callisto

Killed in quicksand by Xena during their second battle.

Ressurrected and subsequently trapped in Xena's body for two episodes, then sent back to Hades.

Becomes an immortal during a Hercules episode and is then trapped within a temple during an avalanche.

Is released from Temple by Xena when aid is needed to defeat a new God, Valasca.

Callisto becomes a GOD herself when she eats the sacred ambrosia, but then falls to into a pit of lava shortly after.

Callisto returns once more with the help of Hope (the daughter of Dahok) and indirectly causes the death of Xena's only son, Solan.

Realizing that causing pain for Xena has not filled the void within her, Callisto wishes for death for herself. She lives a cursed life though, because she is immortal and will not receive the peace that oblivion may provide her. She is killed by Xena for the last time at the end of this story arc by the only thing that can kill a God: The Hines Blood Dagger.

A year goes by with no word of the deceased Callisto. At the end of season 4, it seems that Lucifer is using Callisto's spirit to rid the world of the do-gooder Xena. Later on, a battle ensues between demons and angels up in heaven. Callisto is captured and cleansed within the healing pools of Heaven. For the first time in her adult life Callisto is free of pain and anger; her soul is cleansed much to the disbelief of Xena and Gabrielle.

Callisto's character comes full circle when Xena learns that she is pregnant through Divine Intervention. The soul inside her growing child is that of Callisto.