Yes, Mt. Wilson is the home of the Hubble Observatory, and all the major TV microwave towers in the Greater Los Angeles area. But it does have an interesting history in the area, although most residences are unaware of it.

Mt. Wilson is named after Benjamin "Don Benito" Wilson (If you think it is the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains, it's not, that title belongs to Mt. Baldy). In 1864, Wilson built the first trail up to the mountain for the sake of lumber. He also constructed the famous Halfway House (Named because it was around the midpoint between Sierra Madre and Mt. Wilson). In 1889 the first observatory built on Mt. Wilson (Located on a lump called "Harvard Peak,") for Harvard University. The current observatory was built by George Ellery Hale, in 1908 and for many years was the world's largest telescope.

Another thing Mt. Wilson is famous for in the L.A. area is the Mt. Wilson Toll Road, built in 1891 by the Pasadena & Mt. Wilson Toll Road Co. Until 1936 when it was superseeded by the Angeles Crest Highway, it was the way to get to the top of the mountain. It was also the scene of an annual race as well (The record was set by a Frank Benedict in 1922 with a Paige 6-66 in 22 minutes).


Sources

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/

Robinson, John. Trails of the Angeles