America's Greatest Architect, during the 1920s after building the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo 1915, he set about trying to create a truly Californian style architecture in Los Angeles.

The first of these homes was that of Aline Barnsdall a philanthropist with a passion for the arts what came out of this was the Hollyhock House so named for the motif which is found on all the original buildings in the complex, however she didn't live in it very long and in 1927 gave it to the city of Los Angeles to use for the arts, you can visit it today at Barnsdall Park.

The second was "La Miniatura" built for a former client's widow from Chicago, Mrs. G. M. Millard. It was the first of four textile-block houses built. Landscaping was done by his son, Lloyd Wright. The following 3 textile-block homes in order were the Storer Residence, Freeman Residence, and Ennis Residence.

After the textile blocks, there were no other Los Angeles stuctures by Frank Lloyd Wright, until the 1950s, one was a typical late-Usonian style home in Bradbury and one of his last, the Anderson Court Shops on Rodeo Dr. in Beverly Hills.

As a sidenote, during the 1930s Wright, had an apprentice by the name of R. M. Schindler, his home located in the Hollywood area is open to the public. It should be noted that Schindler and Wright didn't get along very well in the long run and they parted ways during the Hollyhock House project. Also, a annoying cornerstone of most Wright houses...almost all of them drip water, a consequence of having the rainspouts in the roof itself.