For some people, silken (soft) tofu, is an acquired taste. So it can be good to begin with small pieces eaten with other foods so that you can explore the flavour and texture without putting too much of it in your mouth at once. Silken tofu is already cooked, so you can add it to soups or salads without doing anything to it at all.

For Two Servings You Will Need

  • One square of silken tofu, approximately 3” x 3” by 2” (or the equivalent amount)
  • Enough salad greens for two servings (mesclun would be nice for contrasting colours)
  • Fresh mung bean sprouts
  • sensei’s sauce how to make not-so-good food taste better
  • lemon juice
  • sesame oil
  • gomasio
  • Red chili powder (I buy mine in Korean stores)

Make up a batch of sensei’s An Easy Way to Make Not-so-good Food Much Better sauce. You can make more than you need for this recipe because it stores well without refrigeration, and it’s good to have it on hand. Pour three tablespoons of the sauce into a small bowl or measuring cup. Add ½ a teaspoon of lemon juice and a few drops of sesame oil and mix well.

Now Do This

Wash the salad greens and tear them into bite-sized pieces if need be. Put them in a bowl, drizzle a little of the dressing over them and toss well. Then arrange the salad in the bowl or plate you will serve it in.

Carefully remove the silken tofu from the package so that you don’t break it, and rinse it under cold water. Take it to your cutting board and cut it into half inch cubes. A little smaller, or a little bigger is okay, but it shouldn’t be too large. Depending on the thickness of the block, you may need to slice it through before beginning cross-cuts. Once you have it cut, you’ll need to transfer it to the serving bowls. The easiest way to do this is to use the blade of the knife. Slide the sharp edge under the the tofu and pick it up in rows, supporting it with your hand. Then let it slide off the blade of the knife and scatter on the salad. Don’t get too finicky about arranging it, or you’ll smash it to bits. Just let it fall and give it a gentle push with your finger to encourage it to roll to where you want it if you need to.

Once it’s in place, drizzle a little more of the dressing over the tofu and garnish with a sprinkle of gomasio and a light dusting of red chili powder. Chill it before serving.

Note: You could make this salad with sautéed silken tofu if you are not keen on the texture or flavour of "uncooked" tofu.