Ideally, a skeptic should be a person who demands solid proof before he will believe something -- a person who sees the scientific method as his own personal holy creed. Of course, this is far from an ideal world, and we are far from an ideal species, so a true skeptic is a very rare (and often fairly insane) creature.

So we have to make do with different levels of skepticism. At the low end of the spectrum are the hard-core believers. If you say UFOs abducted you for hair transplant experiments, if you say Jesus appeared in your pizza toppings, if you say a crop circle has appeared in your field advertising Hoover vacuum cleaners, if you say your pool boy is Elvis reincarnated, the hard-core believers will believe you, no matter what. In many cases, the hard-core believer will dislike and distrust anyone who is more skeptical than they are and will consider those people to be sworn enemies and servants of darkness; they are essentially fundamentalists, whether they are Christian fundamentalists, UFO fanatics, crop circle fanatics, or hollow earth nutcases.

At the far end of the spectrum are the hard-core disbelievers. No matter how convincing evidence of the paranormal may be, the disbelievers will insist that it cannot be possible. Got incontrovertible proof of life on other planets? Leprechauns? Spontaneous Human Combustion? The existence of God? The disbelievers will insist that you made it all up. In many cases, they will dislike and distrust anyone who is less skeptical than they are and will consider those people to be sworn enemies and servants of darkness. Some of the more rabid disbelievers have been known to grumble about the evils of fantasy novels and "The X-Files," since they clearly encourage belief in things that cannot possibly exist! They are essentially fundamentalists, worshipping at the altar of established and accepted science, and yes, they're actually very similar to the hard-core believers. Read through some of CSICOP's stuff sometime -- if ever an organization needed to adopt the "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" monkeys as mascots, it's them.

Most people fall into a middle ground. They believe in some things, and they don't believe in other things. They have faith in some areas of their lives and demand evidence in others. They probably believe in a higher power, they probably don't believe that Elvis and Jim Morrison are still alive, and they probably don't know what to believe about ghosts, UFOs, and who shot JFK. Their lives are mostly healthy blends of faith and skepticism, with little to no need for either blind faith or blind skepticism. On the whole, I'd consider this a good thing.

A little bit either above or below that level are the Forteans, who consider themselves followers, disciples, or simply fans of phenomenon researcher Charles Fort. On the one hand, they tend to be willing to consider the possibility of some of the more outlandish things, but on the other, they expect to be shown credible evidence before they'll go to the trouble of believing in something. If you bring them a story about how the Reptoids are tampering with your television, the Forteans will say, "Really? Tell me more!" If you can show some sort of believable evidence, they may decide you're telling the truth. However, if it turns out that you're full of it, they'll make fun of you. Cuttingly. In public. While snickering and pointing. The hard-core believers and the hard-core disbelievers both tend to hate the hell out of the Forteans because they often refuse to take things as seriously as the belief/nonbelief fundamentalists want them to.

Yeah, I've considered myself a Fortean for the last several years, so I'm way biased. So sue me.