There is a very good reason why Reagan survived the assassination attempt in 1981: he had mystical help of his own.

When Reagan was elected, he and his advisors believed that the curse could be real, and that Reagan stood a good chance of falling before its power. So it was necessary to develop countermeasures to insure that Ronnie would be able to escape the curse.

It was not believed that the administration could trust the Cherokees or any other Indian tribe to provide accurate information about the curse -- Indians tended to be Democrats, according to conventional wisdom, and would not want to keep a Republican president from dying in office. Besides, it was also believed that Reagan's few Western movies in Hollywood could lead to added hostility from Indians. So since Reagan and his advisors could not bring themselves, for better or worse, to trust the Indians, it was decided to seek alternate methods to thwart the curse.

Back in the 1950s, the Soviets and the KGB instituted an ESP research program, and the CIA, fearful of falling behind in the psychic arms race, started their own paranormal research division. After the fall of the USSR, it was discovered that the Soviets spent most of their time trying to get gypsy fortune-tellers to read their minds, but the CIA was more successful, merging their ESP program into Majestic-12, the secret division assigned to research the artifacts left at the saucer crash site in Roswell, New Mexico. Majestic-12 had employed the scientific method, unscrupulous brain surgery, illegal drugs, and good old American know-how to craft a moderately reliable staff of telepaths, telekinetics, precognitives (with an almost 80% success rate at predicting the Super Bowl), and one pyrokinetic (able to light a match from 30 feet away -- MJ-12 has high hopes for his children). In addition, the CIA and MJ-12 had performed a few experiments in what can only be called magick; they had studied medieval grimoires, researched primitive shamanism, and performed minor rituals and castings -- nothing more impressive than fertility spells and seances, but enough to understand the basics.

While the CIA and Majestic-12 were researching all things paranormal, Reagan was doing his part for the cause. Reluctant to deal much with "un-Christian" studies like magick, Reagan contacted prominent ministers, including Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, and Jerry Falwell, and asked them to pray for him very, very hard. In fact, the CIA encouraged this -- they knew they were inexperienced in spellcasting and psionic techniques, and felt that if God could give 'em a hand, so much the better. And, though Reagan was not a Catholic, he was a movie buff and had seen "The Exorcist," so he contacted Cardinal John O'Connor to inquire about the possibility of exorcising the White House. So with the CIA and MJ-12 casting spells and holding seances and ministers and priests conducting exorcisms and prayer breakfasts, preparations for the removal of the curse were well underway by mid-March of 1981...

Unfortunately, John Hinckley shot Reagan on March 30.

Faced with the sudden and unexpected manifestation of the curse, MJ-12 went into emergency mode, scrambling several psychics and exorcists to the hospital to perform as many curse-removal and healing incantations as possible while Reagan was in surgery. There were a few touchy moments, but thanks to both the surgeons' skill and MJ-12's spells, Reagan pulled through.

While MJ-12 and the CIA believed that their preliminary incantations had helped prevent the initial loss of life in the shooting, they were also concerned that their psychics had completely failed to predict the shooting. This was eventually tied to the interference of several complete frauds who had wormed their way onto the psychic task force -- most notably, Jeanne Dixon and Uri Geller -- but some evidence also suggested that other spells were being cast to hinder efforts to save Reagan's life. It is believed, though there is no hard evidence to support the conclusion, that Anton LaVey, founder and head of the Church of Satan in America, employed high-ranking moles in Falwell's and Robertson's organizations and worked against Reagan with the intent to humiliate the preachers...

There were other ramifications as well. Majestic-12's deep cover agent in the White House was disgraced and almost exposed after the stress of the shooting prompted him to proclaim to the press that he was in charge at the White House. First Lady Nancy Reagan was also profoundly affected by the incident and became interested in astrology -- one of MJ-12's most trusted psychics, Joan Quigley, was assigned as her official astrologer.

Finally, some MJ-12 researchers fear that the hurried nature of their spells may have had an adverse reaction on the President himself -- they suspect that a magical backlash or an unnoticed spell failure may have caused Reagan's Alzheimer's Disease...

So has the Presidential Curse finally been broken? No one knows for sure. MJ-12 hopes that all their work in the '80s has put it to rest or at least weakened it significantly, but they admit that there is no way to tell for certain until after Bush gets out of office...