Daylogs, bah. It's been a year since I had to make a daylog.

Here's the final word, the bottom line, the Objective Truth: A lot of people died at the World Trade Center, at the Pentagon, and on Flight 93 on 9/11/01. None of those people deserved to die.

Yes, it received publicity and news coverage that a similar disaster in most other nations would never receive. Yes, that's not fair. Yes, there's been a whole lot of folks whining and mourning and acting like martyrs. It doesn't change the fact: None of those people deserved to die.

Yes, the ensuing attacks in Afghanistan killed a lot of Afghan civilians and have not succeeded in capturing or killing Osama Bin Laden. It doesn't change the fact: None of those people deserved to die.

Yes, Dubya is using the disaster as an excuse to push for a war in Iraq that few people want to happen. Yes, Donald Rumsfeld is using the disaster as an excuse to push for a greater American military presence worldwide. Yes, John Ashcroft is using the disaster as an excuse to push his personal authoritarian, anti-freedom agenda. Yes, Israel's leaders have used the disaster as an excuse to push for a war of extermination against the Palestinians, and vice versa. Yes, the disaster is not a good excuse for any of those things, and yes, many of us agree that we should work very hard to derail their plots. It doesn't change the fact: None of those people deserved to die.

Yes, the attacks spurred a wave of American patriotism and nationalism. Yes, there's been a rise in isolationist feelings. Yes, certain religious types have behaved very stupidly. Yes, all the mindless flag-waving can get quite irritating and frustrating, even for Americans. It doesn't change the fact: None of those people deserved to die.

Yes, there are a lot of people out there who are responding to the anniversary with "Ahh, who cares? Just a bunch of bloody stupid Americans died. They were asking for it anyway, with that stupid foreign policy." Sorry to hear you feel that way. Please feel free to fuck yourself. Because none of those people deserved to die.

Yes, many more people die everyday of starvation and disease and war than died at the WTC. Yes, 9/11 has almost completely dominated public discourse. Yes, many important issues have been pushed aside. Yes, the American response to the attacks has been far from perfect. Yes, yes, yes. But it doesn't change the fact: None of those people deserved to die.

That's the only thing that matters, really. None of those people deserved to die.

still believing that yesterday's anniversary was more shattering for most of us