Shimmer is a floor wax and a dessert topping. Pulvapies was a foot powder and a mayoral candidate.

Let's step into the Wayback Machine and visit Ecuador in 1967, where the small coastal town of Picoazà (Population: 4,000) was holding its mayoral election, along with many other towns and cities. A foot deodorant company called Pulvapies began a new advertising campaign that featured the slogan "Vote for any candidate, but if you want well-being and hygiene, vote for Pulvapies." One the day before the election, they distributed flyers that were the same color and size as the official election ballot which read: "For Mayor: Honorable Pulvapies."

Pulvapies was elected mayor of Picoazà and received votes in other towns and cities.

It was an occasion for scandal. I don't know if the foot powder company survived -- many candidates threatened to sue, and I can find no references to Pulvapies outside of the mayoral scandal. It's a pretty good bet that the second-place candidate was sworn in as mayor of Picoazà -- though I don't know how long you'd want to be "the Mayor who Got Beat by Foot Powder."

It sounds like an urban legend, but Snopes says it's the real deal. It's hard to imagine how a foot powder would be worse than some other politicians -- it would at least keep your feet dry...

Research from the Snopes Urban Legends Reference Page (http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/footpowder.asp)