Apache warrior (c. 1840-1887?). She was the sister of Victorio, the chief of the Chihenne-Chiricahua Apaches.

It's said that Lozen was involved in more campaigns against the Mexican and American armies than any Apache chief, including Geronimo, Cochise, or even her brother. Victorio considered her one of his most important advisors and one of his strongest warriors -- he once said, "Lozen is my right hand... strong as a man, braver than most, and cunning in strategy. Lozen is a shield to her people."

It was believed that Lozen had a power that let her locate enemies. She would stand with arms outstretched, chant a prayer to the Apache deity Ussen, and turn around slowly. Her hands would throb, and her palms would change color, allowing her to determine where their enemies were located and how many of them there were.

Lozen joined Victorio in his raids in the late 1870s. Though she was acclaimed for her martial prowess, she seems to be best remembered for a couple of incidents outside of the battlefield -- one in which she inspired women and children fleeing the army to cross a rain-swollen Rio Grande, and one in which she escorted a mother and infant from Mexico to the Mescalero reservation on scant provisions, even killing a longhorn with a knife so she could butcher it for more meat. It was only when she arrived at the reservation that she learned that Victorio had died in battle against the Mexican army. Lozen then rode back to the remnants of her band in the Sierra Madres, sneaking past numerous American and Mexican patrols, to fight for another two months alongside the band's patriarch, Nana.

Lozen joined Geronimo in the last campaign of the Apache wars in 1885. After the Apaches surrendered, she was taken as a prisoner of war to Mount Vernon Barracks in Alabama. She died of tuberculosis sometime after 1887.

Research:
Wikipedia
Woman Spirit
Women's Travel Sites
Power to Learn