WARNING! SPOILERS ALL OVER THE FLOOR! GET A MOP!


Title: Heaven on Earth
Release Date: July 1997
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.
Guest Stars: Zauriel.
Bad Guys: Neron, Asmodel, and bunches of angels.

So what happens?
Zauriel and the JLA confront the evil angel Asmodel in San Francisco as the moon continues to fall toward the Earth. Superman uses his new electrical powers to temporarily give the moon poles with an opposite charge as the Earth's poles, so the moon is repelled back to its normal orbit.

While the Martian Manhunter distracts Asmodel, Wonder Woman goes inside the angelic chariot/spaceship to shut down the shield generator that prevents anyone from getting into or out of the city. After she shuts off the shield generator (and trashes most of the chariot), Flash is able to extract himself from the broken teleporter and Superman flies down to Earth.

While Supes and Asmodel duke it out, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Zauriel try to keep the chariot from crashing into downtown Frisco, and Green Lantern and Flash team up to create a machine that creates ultrasonic vibrations and destroys the ability of the angels to exist on the mortal plane.

So Asmodel, the angels, and the chariot get zapped back to Heaven, Zauriel declines an offer of membership in the JLA, and the Leaguers return to the moon to inaugurate Green Arrow as the newest member of the JLA. And then everyone gets mysteriously knocked unconscious! This is what we call a cliffhanger ending, folks...

Cool Moments!
Superman using those mostly-crappy electrical powers to fix the moon; Superman wrestling Asmodel.

Cool Quotes!
Wonder Woman: "Just watch my back."
Zauriel: "I'd pay money to watch your back..."

(After Flash gets out of the teleporter and after a local cop calls Aquaman "Fish-Man"...)
Flash: "What's happening? Fill me in! Just key words."
Aquaman: "Key words? How about 'End,' 'World,' 'The' and 'Of." Oh, and 'Fish' and 'Man.'"

Flash, watching Superman fight Asmodel: "This is the guy who said he couldn't live up to his myth. He's wrestling an angel..."

Back | Index | Forward