WARNING! SPOILERS EVERYWHERE! GAME OVER, MAN! GAME OVER!


Title: Mystery in Space
Release Date: July 1998
Writer: Mark Waid
Penciller: Arnie Jorgensen
Inker: David Meikis
JLA Members: Superman, Wonder Woman (Hippolyta), Green Lantern, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, Steel, Orion, and Barda.
Guest Stars: Adam Strange.
Bad Guys: The En'Tarans.

So what happens?
Well, first of all, Superman finally gets rid of those stupid electrical powers and is back in the traditional red, yellow, and blue costume. Whew!

After that, the JLA is unexpectedly kidnapped and enslaved on the planet of Rann by Adam Strange, an old Silver Age space hero, and a group of aliens called the En'Tarans. After the Martian Manhunter uses his telepathy to discover that Adam has gone insane, Adam informs them that he is putting them to work rebuilding Rann to its former glory--his dead wife, he tells them, is coming back home...

The Leaguers are used as slave labor, along with all the people of Rann. Orion, in particular, is enraged at being held captive, but the Mother Box strapped to his arm helps to (barely) control his rage. In a desperate bid to escape, the Flash lends extra speed to Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Martian Manhunter, so they can zoom out at superspeed and take Adam captive. But the Martian Manhunter betrays them, and they are all recaptured. Finally, it is revealed that Adam's wife, Alanna, really is alive, but being held captive by the En'Tarans...

Back | Index | Forward