Western film, directed by Fred Zinnemann and written by Carl Foreman, based on a story by John W. Cunningham. It was released in 1952.

Gary Cooper plays Will Kane, a sheriff in a small town. He's just gotten married to a Quaker woman (played by Grace Kelly) and is about to leave on his honeymoon, when he learns that a gang of thugs are coming to town to kill him. While he was prepared to retire to make his pacifist wife happy, he nevertheless decides that he has to defend his town.

Unfortunately, absolutely no one is willing to help him, and most reveal themselves as craven cowards who would prefer to leave Kane to fight and die alone rather than stick their necks out and offer him any assistance.

The movie takes place in real time, and the tension and suspense mounts steadily as 12 o'clock -- the noon train is carrying the gang's leader -- grows closer and closer.

Cooper delivers a tense and brutally realistic performance as a man who knows he's going to be killed defending a bunch of spineless worms, but knows that he has to do it anyway because it's his job.

For many movie fans, this is one of the best Westerns ever made, rivaling or exceeding many of John Ford's classics.

The title theme, highly recommended by kthejoker and heard throughout the movie, is Tex Ritter's "Do Not Forsake Me: The Ballad of High Noon."