A fantastic and very controversial rock band for the brief time they were together. GN'R was a welcome break from the big hair pop metal bands of the mid '80s, and they had a major impact on hard rock in the late 1980s and early '90s.

Founded by frontman Axl Rose, guitarists Slash, Izzy Stradlin, and Duff McKagan, and drummer Steve Adler (later replaced by Matt Sorum), Guns N' Roses cranked out blues-influenced hard rock with a gritty, dirty, angry edge that pop bands like Poison and Warrant couldn't dream of duplicating (not that they didn't try...).

GN'R released three major albums ("Appetite for Destruction", "Use Your Illusion I", and "Use Your Illusion II"), one EP ("GN'R Lies"), and an album full of punk rock cover songs ("The Spaghetti Incident?").

At their best, Guns N' Roses were capable of producing everything from blistering rock riots ("Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", and "You Could Be Mine"), beautiful love songs ("Sweet Child O' Mine", "Patience", "Don't Cry", and "Estranged"), funk/blues/metal combos ("Breakdown", "Bad Obsession", and "You Ain't the First") and more ambitious works like "Civil War", "Rocket Queen", the breathtaking "November Rain", and the epic "Coma".

The band was no stranger to controversy. Critics claimed that "Mr. Brownstone" promoted drug use and "Used to Love Her" was misogynistic, but the racism and homophobia that oozed out of "One in a Million" was much harder for fans to dismiss.

Eventually, creative differences and the surging popularity of grunge killed the band, though Axl's overblown ego and hedonism didn't help things much.

Personal note: I've forgiven GN'R for every pompous song, every late concert, every trashed hotel room, even for Axl's politically incorrect beliefs. Guns N' Roses changed my life for the better, shaking me out of my small-town slumber, giving me a tool to break free of the labels I'd been branded with in high school, and convincing me to grow my hair long. They get my eternal thanks for that, if nothing else.
Discography!
1986: Live?!*@ Like A Suicide
1987: Appetite for Destruction
1989: GN'R Lies
1991: Use Your Illusion I
1991: Use Your Illusion II
1993: The Spaghetti Incident?

If this "new" GN'R album sounds any good, I'll add it here. Honestly, they'll have an uphill battle to convince me that it's really Guns N' Roses and not just an Axl vanity project.