I was (and still am) against nu-metal. I feel the bands mentioned above in Kage Prototype's (rather good, admittedly, if a little uninformed (See below)) writeup have absolutely nothing to offer musically, and serve to take focus off bands and movements which might actually deserve it. Still, that is only my opinion, and the light is definitely on and burning for the masses.

A couple of years ago (ie: 2000/2001)(or maybe last year, my memory's shot)in a rather boring maths class at school, I wrote these rather simplistic lyrics for a song that was never intended to go anywhere. I should really compose some music to go with it. In fact I will, using this Casio SA-20 for maximum cheesecore. ((Cue diddly-dee music with tinny drum samples)).


I hate nu-metal, it is shit
From Linkin Park to Limp Bizkit
Look at the shite that's on TV
Bands like Korn and (Hed) PE

Peddling easy answers with a baseball cap
To stupid kids who don't know crap
It's getting worse than Gangsta rap
But with just as much currency

Musical fads will come and go
Look at Marilyn Manson two years ago
Where he is now, nobody knows
And his ex-fans listen to Counting Crows*
Just you wait and see.

All you people had better wake up
And stop acting like you are corporate sluts
Take a stand for good music, take it up today
Or just blame your bad taste on Triple J**


*Okay, I don't know, but hey - poetic license!
**"Yoof" orientated government sponsored station Australia-wide.

I'm receiving a lot of negativity about this (well deserved though, I might add), but let me re-iterate: I have heard many more nu-metal bands then the ones I mention here, and I still hold my views that it really does suck as a genre. Thank you.

theboy says re nu-metal: heh - i'm picturing the beastie boys covering your nu-metal song. they do it justice, in case you're worried.

Hell yeah, three MC's and hang the (nu-metal) DJ

To kage prototype, I wouldn't put too much faith in what Kerrang magazine (and it's associated non-print publications) says. I remember a section in that magazine about the five greatest rock musicians ever. Off the top of my head, it was; Kurt Cobain, Marilyn Manson, Fred Durst, that twat singer out of System of a Down and some other guy who I can't remember. Because Elvis, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Buddy Holly (insert about a billion other more important rock figures) did nothing for the genre.

Kerrang seems to be run by a bunch of fifteen year olds who just stepped off a time-warp from 1997. And they're probably all baggy-pant wearing Croxtons.