Francis Drake

Francis Drake was a key player in the fight against the The Spanish Armada. One of the commanders of the English fleet, he was related to the Hawkins family, but was not born into the commerce industry. His father (Edmund) had once been a sailor, but at the time of Francis' birth, he was a yeoman-farmer of Tavistock. In 1549, Edmund Drake was forced to leave Devon due to his religious affiliations, so Francis went to sea at an early age. He started out as an apprentice in a collier, plying between Tyne and Thames, and later became it's owner. He served the John Hawkins for a while, and accompanied John on the 3rd of his slave voyages. After that, he went into business for himself, and soon prospered, owing to his talent for taking calculated risks. Francis was a born leader, an opportunist, and a man who always knew his own abilities as well as those of others. He was often daring, but never reckless. Drake has been called by many names, ranging from 'pirate' and 'hypocrite', to 'Saviour of his country', 'Creator of naval warfare' and 'Father of English Strategy'. The Spanish simply called him 'El Draque' - the Dragon.

Francis Drake was a sincere Puritan, believing strongly that God had a special care towards England and Queen Elizabeth I. In his earlier years, he was also a privateer, fighting England's enemies with the consent of his government, but with his own weapons. It was Drake's willingness to fight without the 'official' support of his country, which served the Queen's purposes at the time. For political and economical reasons, Elizabeth could not afford to openly go to war against Spain, nor could she stand by and do nothing. Drake was prepared to face the enemy, and to take risks (not to mention blame), should she need to disclaim him later.

Before the Armada, Francis had long been a prime seaman, and an outstanding sea-fighter. By 1585, he was the leading exponent of English sea-warfare. His precise year of birth is unknown, but he may have been around 40 years old in 1588. He was shortish and thick-set, and at the time of the Armada, had a small, trim beard. He was Vice-Admiral of the main fleet.