In 1989 a group of army officers, led by General Omar al-Bashir, seized power in Sudan and ended three years of democracy and an elected parliament. This was more than just another military coup. Behind the general was a group called the Islamic Liberation Front, led by Hassan al-Turabi. This group wanted to turn Sudan into a more radical Islamic country. Other former governments had introduced Shari'ah, or Islamic Law, and persecuted non-Muslim minorities. Bashir's government went further. They arrested and tortured the opposition, effectively imposed a ban on alcohol and mixed social gatherings, sent Muslim missionaries into the south, and recruited volunteers into Islamic militias for the fight in the war.

Sudan has hosted radical Arab and Islamic groups from other countries. This practice earned them the censure of the United States, which in 1993 put them on the list of countries it accuses of supporting terrorism.

Sudan under this new fundamentalist order is still not as strict as many Muslim countries. Although women wear headscarves and conform to the Islamic dress codes, they are often colourful and brightly designed when compared to the drab blue and black veils you might see in Afghanistan, or Jordan.

The current conflict in Sudan is fueled by a number of factors - race, religion and money. The discovery of large oil supplies in the country has attracted western oil producers, and income generated by these wells is being used by the Sudanese government to fund the war effort. Sudan now has the resources to manufacture its own small arms and military vehicles.

Sudan is the home of a lucrative slave trade. People displaced by the war, or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time are being kidnapped and sold into slavery. Western organizations have been attempting to buy the freedom of large numbers of slaves, but this policy is seen by many to be exacerbating the problem.