The following will be read at my granfather's funeral today. I felt like sharing it with the rest of you.


Flying home on the plane from New Orleans this weekend, I had a few hours to think, and I came to a few general conclusions. The motions that people go through during these times serve one of two purposes. The first is so that each person can gain a sense of closure regarding a situation which, to many of us, seems quite senseless. The second purpose is that those of us who have already gained closure be there to help the others who have not. It is my hope that I can help some people gain a sense of closure by sharing the experience which has given closure to me already.

When grandpa first got very sick, I came up to see him in the hospital. During that visit, I was in his room talking to him with Donald. He and Don were talking about something, and right before I left, he said something to us, although Don could not understand what he was saying at the time. What he said to us was, "It is my time. I know that, and I have accepted that."

There is a lesson that I learned earlier this year when a very good friend of mine passed away, and it was at the time, the only thing that helped me get through it. Each person is put on this Earth to learn certain lessons. These lessons differ from person to person, and when each person has learned their lessons, their time is up. No matter how sad, no person can do anything to change that. Grandpa lived a full life, and learned the lessons that he was put here to learn. He was blessed with living a very long life, and he passed some of his wisdom and knowledge on to each of us in his own way.

My point is that this is not a time to be sad, but a time to be joyous. He will be missed, I will certainly not argue against that, but he accomplished what he was put here to accomplish, and I, personally, am glad that he was able to do that. I am also glad that he knew it was his time, and was okay with that concept. Be not sad for his passing, but instead be happy for his accomplishments, and keep fond memories of him in your hearts. If all of us keep him in our hearts, and keep our memories of him, then he truly will, in one way, live forever.