Debate
I got back from Detroit today. I was on a debate tournament for my college, Weber State University. The tournament was held at Wayne State University. Both initials are WSU – was kind of weird. I got my butt kicked, went 2-4. I tried to convince myself the tournament was a social event, but since 5/8 people on trip smoked - wasn't too socially fun. But heck, its how I pay for college, pays for 1100 a semester – leaving me with like 500 in fees + books. I learned a lot of fundamentals – my partner was also new to policy too. So that didn’t exactly help. I was involved in high school in individual debate events, foreign extemporaneous 1st in region, national extemporaneous, Impromptu, and the event I was a runner up for nationals Congress. My high school didn’t even attempt a policy team, and I noticed policy is going out of style in high schools. But in college - either your college does only policy – or only individual events. The best part about competitions are the effects they put on my body. I’m lactose intolerant, and I’m not exactly regular with the bowel movements. These tournaments clean me out, like no matter how much is in me – it flushes. Way nice, I feel a couple of pounds lighter.

Housing
At my dorms, called the University Village I’m going to try to become an RA - Room Assistant or whatever - to get free boarding. $345.00 a month is what I’m paying - also gives the $2,200 scholarship I already receive for debating. Doesn't give more unfortunately. I'll try to survive till I become an RA but finances are tight right now. Beyond that I’m trying to keep up grades. Met with the professor over my major today. I have 75 hours of classes left. She explained all the confusing stuff - 6 more hours of classes I didn’t know I had to take in general area due to SI - BS stuff. Sucks. Only two classes in the 75 only taught during only fall or spring. I know when to take what got that all taken care of. Passed my last computer clep test last week.

Religion
Things with my girlfriend have been taken care of. Met with the bishop on October 22, 2006. The singles’ ward stake’s ideas of missions are way different than my home ward stake. They asked me if I still had a desire to serve and I broke down. They said they could get me there, and could still do it if I did everything they asked and waited the year from last offense. I really am going to try to do this but I’m hoping my parents don’t give me too much pressure. I want them to act like I'm not going so then if I do choose to go I'll truly know that it is what I want to do. Right now it is, I'd like to kill fickleness and I'm mad about how close I was to being able to leave as it was till I messed up.

Finances
Had to pay rent today, I have five dollars left to my name. Money is tight with my family too. I'm praying often for my dad to find a new job. Dan Pope is a head meteorologist for channel four in Utah, he’s up for contract in March and hasn’t found a new place to go. I'm doing my best to keep my expenses down, I'm cooking nearly 100% of all my meals. I probably couldn’t do a better job of keeping costs down. I still am struggling with keeping money in the bank though. I'm working on it - and if the RA thing panned through I'd really be ok. For Christmas I asked my family to just help me take care of essentials. My computer just blew up last week too – so many problems.

Regardless of these things I’m happy. School is making progress. I had some amazing food in Detroit. I ate some Greek that I’ll never know what it was. One thing was like fried goat cheese put that on bread, and I did eat lamb to the shock of my debate partner. Too bad the Tigers lost though.