I just noticed two things when I logged on to E2 today:

  1. I have been a noder for almost an entire year now.
  2. I just broke the 1000 XP barrier

These things might not mean much to some of you, particularly those that have been users for years or have several thousand XP. But for me, these two things are important.

You see, I've come to realize that I truly look at Everything2 as being a community of which I am a part. When I first joined, it was mostly to read stuff or to get more XP than my friends. Now, I have been contributing, on average, a new write-up each week for you, the noders, to enjoy. I talk in the chatterbox, I send and recieve /msg's, and I do my best to help make E2 even better. I've made friends here. Today, I heard that kthejoker was going to be on Jeopardy!. Well, I made it a point to tune in and watch him crush the other two contestants. I've been invited to brunch. The brunch was cancelled, but I was still invited. When I'm online, I get the feeling that the other noders have accepted me into their online lives.

Looking back, I'm amazed I made it this far. In the beginning, I was a horrible writer who didn't grasp what the site was for. TanisNikana, a noder whom I know in real life, would leave the room without logging out of his E2 account, and I would post crappy poems under his name. Of course I got caught; dannye locked my account and it was only after much apologizing that he unlocked it. (If you're reading this, dannye, I apologize once again.) Today, I'm really grateful that I was allowed back in. I found that I love writing about history and teaching it to others. In fact, when I graduate from high school, I wish to become a history teacher. I believe that Everything2 has played a role in that decision.

Well, that's enough rambling from me. Now go out and node! It's what you're here for.