Cushing's syndrome (hypercortisolism), happens when tissues are exposed to an overabundance of the hormone called cortisol.  When an inappropriate amount of cortisol is released by the adrenal glands, it can alter the normal functions of blood pressure, energy production, the ability to fight disease and how the body maintains and handles stress.  This results in the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome.

Symptoms

Many teenagers and young children with Cushing's syndrome often show many of the following symptoms:

Adults who suffer from Cushing's syndrome may also have some of the same symptoms.  In addition, they may also have such symptoms as:

Causes

Cushing's syndrome occurs when:

  • a non-cancerous tumor in the pituitary gland produces increased amounts of the adrenocorticotropin hormone (ACTH).  This, in turn, prompts the adrenal glands to over-produce cortisol.  This form of Cushing's syndrome is better known as Cushing's disease.
  • growth on the adrenal glands whether cancerous or not, can cause the adrenal glands to release extra cortisol. 
  • certain types of cancerous tumors found in other parts of the body can produce adrenocorticotropin  This causes the adrenal glands to produce an abundance of cortisol. 
  • a person taking certain hormones for an extended amount of time as treatment for another disease or disorder, for example, a person taking a steroidal anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis.

Diagnosis

The patient's physician will review their medical records and perform a physical exam.  If enough evidence suggests the patient may have Cushing's syndrome, the physician will have more tests performed on the patient.  The process of getting a definite diagnosis will involve:

  • seeing if there is an abundance of cortisol in the body and discovering the cause of the extra cortisol.
  • a urine test to measure how much cortisol is being produced.

If the cortisol level indicates Cushing's syndrome, the physician may order other tests to discover the cause. These tests may include:

The physician will also order a series of biochemistry tests.  The dexamethasone suppression test involves taking man-made cortisol orally for several days.  While the patient is taking this test, the cortisol levels in the blood and urine are measured on a daily basis.  Another test called the corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) simulation test involves the patient getting an injection of CRH followed by a blood test to see if there is a rise in the cortisol and ACTH levels.

Samples of the blood are gathered through a catheterization procedure and are tested to see if the pituitary gland is what is causing the high level of ACTH. 

Treatments

If it is discovered that Cushing's syndrome is the result of taking hormones as treatment for another disease, the physician will adjust the hormone dosage.  If Cushing's syndrome is being caused by the body producing an abundance of cortisol, the physician will use such treatments as:

In many cases, Cushing's syndrome can be cured.  But, as with any disease, there is no guarantee.  The effectiveness of the treatment depends on what is causing it and the severity of the disease.  Even if a cure is not possible, most patients will eventually achieve some level of recovery.

My aunt was diagnosed with Cushing's syndrome four years ago.  Her doctor discovered it early enough, and through treatment and medication the doctor expects a full recovery as long as she continues to keep taking the medication.  She is living a normal life and there have not been any relapses and no symptoms of the disease.  She is thankful that the doctor prescribed the treatments that he did and is expected to live a long happy life.


Sources: 
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
National Institutes of Health