One of the founding members of the Avengers published by Marvel Comics. Thor was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the early 1960's.

Thor is the son Odin, head of the pantheon of Norse gods and Jord, one of the forms of Gaea, goddess of the Earth. Thor is the god worshipped by the Vikings in the 9th century.

Thor is super-strong and wields the hammer Mjolnir which allows Thor to command the elements of the storm: rain, wind, thunder, and lightning. The hammer is enchanted to allow only those that are worthy to lift it. To this date, only Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America and Wonder Woman have ever been able to lift the weapon. The hammer also allows Thor to fly by hanging on the its thong and throwing the hammer. The hammer is also enchanted so as to always return to the hand of Thor when thrown.

Odin sought to teach Thor humility and transformed him into Donald Blake, a medical student, and stripping him of his memory. Thor lived in this form for a number of years, until Odin placed in Thor's mind the idea of traveling to Norway. While there on vacation, Thor in the form of Blake witnessed the beginning of an alien invasion. Taking refuge in a system of caves, Blake found himself trapped in a cave, where he discovered a wooden stick. Striking the stick against the boulder that trapped him there, Blake was transformed back into his true form as Thor. Thor then easily defeated the alien invaders.

Having found an affinity with the Earth, Thor continued his existence as Blake, championing humanity's cause on a number of occasions in his form as Thor. Thor was one of the founding members of the super-hero team the Avengers.

Thor eventually lost the ability to transform into his form of Donald Blake and adopted the identity of Sigurd Jarlson. For a time, Thor has also been fused with two humans: Erik Masterson, who later became the hero Thunderstrike, and and, of late, Jake Olsen, an EMS worker.

Thor was portrayed on film by Australian actor Chris Hemsworth in Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Doctor Strange (2016), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Thor: Love and Thunder (2022). These films are all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.