It's Clobbering Time!

A superhero created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and published by Marvel Comics. The Thing first appeared in Fantastic Four #1 in 1961.

Benjamin Jacob Grimm grew up on the lower east side of New York on Yancy Street. His older brother was the leader of the local gang called the Yancy Street Gang and the family survived off of the money that the gang stole, because Grimm's father was an out of work alcoholic. When Grimm was eight, his brother was killed in a gang fight, but Grimm replaced him as leader of the gang two years later.

Grimm's parents both died over the next few years and Grimm was taken in by his aunt and uncle. His uncle was a successful doctor and the family made a loving environment for young Ben. Ben excelled at sports particularly football, eventually earning a scholarship to Empire State University.

At ESU, Grimm roomed with brilliant science student Reed Richards. The two became fast friends and Richards eventually confided in his new friend his intention to create a space craft capable of interstellar flight. Grimm laughed at his friend's dream, making Richards promise that if he ever built the craft that Grimm would fly it. Grimm's joke would eventually change his life.

After college, Grimm joined the airforce where he became a top fighter pilot. Grimm's natural confidence and strength served him well in his new role and he served with distinction. Grimm served his tour with the military and on the day he got out, he was contacted by his old roommate, Reed Richards.

Richards had successfully constructed his spaceship and wanted Grimm to fly it. Grimm examined the ship, warning Richards that the radiation shielding would not withstand an intense radiation storm, but Richards disregarded Grimm's comments. Stealing onto the base where the ship was housed, Richards and Grimm along with Richards' fiance, Susan Storm, and Storm's teenage brother , Johnny, launched the ship.

The flight performed well, until it was caught in an intense cosmic storm. The crew was exposed to cosmic rays and the ship crashed back on Earth. The cosmic rays affected each of the crew in a unique way. Grimm's exposure created one of the most radical effects. His skin became thick an lumpy with an orange color. His hands and feet transformed causing him to have four toes and four fingers. Most significantly, Grimm's strength increased greatly. Horrified by what he had become, Grimm began to refer to himself as a thing and that became his new moniker. Richards proposed that the four use their new abilities to help others and they became known as the Fantastic Four.

Over the years, Grimm's appearance has changed. The lumpy texture of his skin has given way to skin that appears to be a series of interlocking rocks. Grimm has experienced difficulty in adjusting to his appearance and only through the love of blind artist Alicia Masters did Grimm come to accept his new appearance. Grimm has occasionally transformed back into his original appearance but with no seeming control. Reed Richards has conjectured that Grimm actually has control of the transformations, but believed that Masters only loved him as the Thing and therefore, would not allow himself to change.

When the Beyonder transported a group of heroes and villains to a created world, Grimm gained some measure of control over his transformations. He elected to stay on this new world after the crisis was over, believing that the world itself allowed this ability. He adventured there for a while, eventually returning to Earth.

When Grimm returned to Earth, he found that Masters and his teammate Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, had fallen in love. That along with the betrayal he felt when he learned that Richards knew that he could tranform at will, caused him to quit the Fantastic Four. He traveled the country for a time, participating in the Unlimited Wrestling circuit, which was professional wrestling for the super strong. He also teamed with the West Coast Avengers for at time.

He eventually returned to the Fantastic Four and even lead the team for a time. His abilites have swung the gambit over time, from having no powers at all to having incredible strength above his normal abilities for a time, when he was exposed to cosmic rays for a second time.