You sitting at a stoplight, waiting patiently for the light to turn when you feel it: your car begins to tremble. It begins as almost a subliminal sensation, but it begins to grow. Suddenly, you feel your auto buffetted by wave upon wave of vibration. You look around and realize that what you are feeling is the result of the car behind you whose driver has the windows rolled down and the stereo cranked to its highest volume, putting its woofers and sub-woofers to a stress test far beyond the factory specifications. Unpleasant as this little episode is, imagine if someone asked you to pay four dollars to experience this off and on for two hours. That is what people did in the summer of 1974.

It was called Sensurround and was the latest of the sensory experience to come out of Hollywood. This new technology was tied to the latest in summer disaster movies in the early to mid-70's, Earthquake. The movie starred Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, Genevieve Bujold Walter Matthau, and the obligatory appearance by George Kennedy and featured a sound system that would make the theater shake from the sound being sent through the woofers and sub-woofers. This new technology won Ronald Pierce and Melvin Metcalfe, Sr. the Academy Award for sound that year.