The usual kind of Stilton is blue Stilton, which is of couse a blue cheese; however in this case the flavour of the cheese itself is significantly stronger than that of the veins of mould.

The traditional accompaniment to Stilton is port. I dutifully try these together sometimes, but can't see any special affinity. They are both delicious and richly flavoured, and fill you up with a contented hedonist, late-evening sense of satisfaction, but either one by itself does that. The same effect might be achievable with port and Ben & Jerry's New York chocolate fudge, or Stilton and sexual intercourse.

Oh dear, I've just noticed the previous write-up is plagiarized directly from www.stiltoncheese.com, so I'm going to have to repeat some of the information before I kill it. Stilton is made by six or seven authorized dairies in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, and Derbyshire. It is creamy and "ivory-hued". There, done.

Stilton is a village in Leicestershire near the town of Melton Mowbray: a cheese market was held here, and the local creamy blue cheese picked up the name of Stilton. The first documentary reference is in 1722, but it was evidently well-known before then. There is a nice saying from the village of Wymondham, "Drink a pot of ale, eat a scoop of Stilton, every day, you will make 'old bones'."

A young cheese before the veining has taken hold, is white, and is sometimes sold as white Stilton. It's very nice but since blue Stilton is even nicer, what's the point? And speaking of pointless, that website has a section entitled "Leftover Stilton". Are they nuts??