Martin Luther, 1483-1547

His Life

Born 1483 in Germany the son of peasant miners who were very conservatively religious. He was brought up very strictly.

1501 - Went to University of Erfurt
1505 - Became an Augustinian Monk
1507 - Ordained as a priest
1511 - Became a lectured on biblical theology at Wittenberg University in electoral Saxony.
1515 - In a lecture on St Paul's letter to the Romans spoke on a passage containing the now infamous phrase:
"The Just shall live on faith alone"
This became known as sola fide or justification by faith.
1517: Sept - Published his diputation against scholastic theology
1517: Oct - Pinned his 95 theses to the church door at Wittenberg

His Beliefs

Pauline and Augustine influences are most important when examining the origins of Luther's theology. Luther took the ideas of St Paul and St Augustine together with those of William of Ockham as an indication that salvation was necessary and that faith was the means of salvation.

Key Ideas:

  • Justification by Faith - There was no need for things like pilgrimages, indulgences, relics or masses for the dead. Nor was there anything to be gained by the worship of saints or relics.
  • Priesthood of all Believers - Faith in Christ made every man his own priest, creating the priesthood of all believers. Ministers would have to be appointed to conduct services and help their congregations bit they have not secular powers or privileges. Therefore you could have communion in both kinds, priests could marry and there was no need for monks of nuns.
  • Sacraments - Baptism and the Eucharist are the only two valid sacraments of the original seven. However Luther rejects transubstantiation in favour of consubstantiation. This means he does not reject the real presence.
  • Papacy - The Pope is not infallible. Scripture is superior to the Pope. A general council of the church could guide and dictate to the Papacy
  • Church State - Secular authorities should be able to organise the church within their own kingdoms.
Minor Points:
  • Music is an integral part of worship
  • Usury is illegal
  • Compulsory education but not necessarily solely by the church
  • Preaching is an intergral part of worship
  • Community should be responsible for the poor, sick and insane
  • The existence of the social hierarchy