Ted is a reoccurring character in Scott Adams' Dilbert comic strip. Along with the Pointy Haired Boss, Dilbert, Wally, Alice and Asok the Intern, Ted is one of the people seen around the conference table at Dilbert's work. Unlike the others, who all have somewhat developed personalities (or at least personas based on a few humorous traits), Ted has no defined personality, life, or history. This is acknowledged by Scott Adams in his Dilbert book "Seven Years of Highly Defective People", where he says that he thinks of him as "Ted, the Generic Guy", and states "If I have to fire or kill someone, it's often the generic guy". Ted has no personality traits and a generic appearance, and does whatever is necessary to move the gag of the comic forward.

Someone could draw a contrast between this and other comic strips, such as Peanuts, Doonesbury and Bloom County, where many of the characters that were in supporting or even walk-on roles had fairly well defined backstories and personality traits, or at least some basic idea of continuity. While this contrast could be drawn, it is not particularly meaningful: Dilbert is meant to be a gag-based comic strip, and having a generic character to get electrocuted or deported or whatever is needed that week fits well with the purpose of the strip.