Quite apart from the fine academic institution that it is, Reed College's campus, which covers almost fifty square blocks of southeast Portland, OR, is full of both beautiful scenery and interesting architecture. Although it is not a public park, relatively unobtrusive people often treat it like one. It is perhaps one of the largest and most scenic places in inner southeast Portland.

The campus is split pretty neatly down the middle by the Reed Canyon, a shallow pond that drains into a stream that exits the campus. This canyon is fairly marshy and perhaps has a pollution problem of some sort. It is not the kind of water you would want to get your body in, but it does provide a wild scenic element in an otherwise well ordered, staid campus. The canyon is bridged by a gracefully curving concrete footbridge.

On the north side of the canyon lies some dormitory and Reed's atheletic fields and running track. Since Reed is not known for being a high profile athletic powerhouse, these fields are mostly used for ultimate frisbee, and for neighborhood people to walk their dogs.

The south side of the canyon has all of Reed's important, and beautiful looking buidlings, including the campus library, the gargoyle covered old dorm block, the main administration building, and some slighty more modern buildings, such as the dining hall. It also has a gigantic open yard, spotted with elm trees, as well as Portland's largest Ginko Biloba trees.

So, for those who happen to be in SE Portland and want to pretend they are in the beautiful yard of an ancient castle, or what have you, then Reed College is the place to do it. Just remember that Reed is private property, and if the security guards feel that you are disturbing the students, they will boot you. Reed's reputation for wildness is not totally deserved, many of the students are, after all, rather sheltered and naive.