Il Trittico (literally "The Tryptich") is a Series of three operas written by Giacomo Puccini. The entire evening of one-act operas consists of two dramas and a comedy.

The pieces appear in chronological order, meaning the order they were written in, although I don't know if that was intentional.

Il Tabarro (1912)
Lyric opera in one act
Libretto by Giuseppe Adami from La Houppelande by Didier Gold

Michele - baritone
Luigi - tenor
Tinca - tenor
Talpa - bass
Giorgetta - soprano
Frugola - mezzo-soprano
Un Venditore di conzonette - tenor
Un Amante - tenor
Una Amante - soprano
Chorus

The story of Il Tabarro is straightforward, but powerful, like most of Puccini's operas. On a barge, moored to the banks of the Seine, Michele waits while his wife Giorgetta finishes her chores, after an akward kiss, he departs below the ship and Luigi appears with Talpa and Tinca. They drink with Giorgetta. They begin to dance, but it is interrupted by the return of the Michele. The husband and wife fight when Michele announces their imminent departure. After some interaction with a song seller and some other locals, Luigi arrives and reveals to Giorgetta that he cannot share her with Michele. They decide to meet once Michele has gone to sleep, she will alert him with a light. Michele happens to light his pipe before bed which Luigi misconstrues as the signal light, he comes on board and the two men fight. Michele kills Luigi and hides his body with his cloak. When Giorgetta returns, she begs forgiveness from her husband. He opens her cloak to him and she screams as she sees her lovers body.


Suor Angelica Lyric opera in one act

Libretto by Giovacchino Forzano

Suor Angelica - soprano
Zia Principessa - alto
La Badesso - mezzo soprano
Suor Zelatrice - mezzo-soprano
Suor Osmina - soprano
Suor Dolcina - soprano
Suor Genovieffa - soprano

Suor Angelica is a nun in a convent, she lives an austere life and is a sad nun. She receives a visit from the Princess and we learn that Angelica is her neice, but under the care of the nuns, since she became pregnant. She learns from the Princess that her parents have died and left her to handle the estate. She receives the estate by no empathy from her aunt. She pleads for news of her son and learns that he has fallen sick and died. The next day she resolves to die and drinks poison. Having done so, she realizes that she has committed a mortal sin and begs the Virgin's forgiveness. She has a vision of the Virgin and a small child and dies in happiness.


Gianni Schicchi
Opera buffa in one act
Libretto by Giovacchino Forzano

Gianni Schicchi - baritone
Lauretta - soprano
Zita - contralto
Rinuccio - tenor
Gherardo - tenor
Nella - soprano
Gherardino - alto
Betto di Signa - bass
Simone - bass
Marco - baritone
La Ciesca - mezzo-soprano
Maestro Spinelloccio - bass
Ser Amantio di Nicolao - baritone
Pinellino - bass
Guccio - bass

The only comedy of the three, and Puccini's only comedy, Gianni Schicchi is also one of his most famous, containing the aria "O Mio Babbino Caro" one of the most beautiful moments in opera.

The story is quite funny. The wealthy Donati has died and his relatives gather to whisper and wonder about the rumor that he has left everything to a monastery. The realize that the will is in the room and search frantically. They realize that the rumor is true and begin to plot how to change it. Rinuccio announces that only the shrewd Gianni Schicchi can help, but he is unheeded. However, Schicchi is summoned anyway. He attempts to impersonate Donati. At first behind a screen, he fools the doctor and then the Notary is sent for. All the relatives begin to bribe Gianni to get the lion's share. Once the notary arrives he begins well enough, leaving an equal sum to each relative, but then he pronounces that the house and grounds to be left to...Gianni Schicchi! The notary leaves and Schicchi, the new master of the house, chases the relatives from his home.